Friday, September 11, 2009

In Memory Of

Those who lost their lives eight years ago.

I Remember by Rosanne Yu

This time of year I think back to Sept, 2001.
I remember, Monday, Sept 10, 2001 so clearly. I remember looking out from my office on the 94th Floor in 2 World Trade Center. I remember that the view was spectular. Little did I know that it would be the last time I would ever see such a view. I remember working late and taking the car service home. I remember being annoyed at Josh since he rushed off and left me to finish up. Little did I realize that would be the last time I would ever see or speak to him ever.
I remember my alarm clock not going off on the morning of Sept 11, 2001. I remember being annoyed that I just missed the train. I remember being pissed off that the next train was delayed since I had a 10 million trade for the MET account and I didn't have time to be late for work. Little did I realize this all factored in why I am still alive today.
I remember rushing off the train and rushing to my office in 2 WTC.
I remember the chaos when I entered into the lobby of 2 WTC.
I remember thinking that they were filming a scene for Spiderman and wouldn't it be cool if I was an extra in a movie. Then I thought to myself why are they filming at 8:46am when everyone is heading to work. Reality then crashed in. I realized that something was seriously wrong and this was not a scene in a movie. People were trampling on each other. A man ran past me screaming 'bomb'.
Security was not letting anyone take the elevators. I recognized one of my coworkers in the crowd. He didn't stop - he yelled "Run Rosanne" and continue to run.
Another coworker grabbed me and said there was some accident and we needed to leave. As I entered the concourse, I looked up. I remember seeing the billowing smoke and the gaping hole where the plane crashed into 1 WTC. I was in shock and I realized that I was an eyewitness to a historic moment.
On that day, I did everything I could but I realized that I'm not in control. Even in the midst of chaos and danger, God guided me and brought me to safety.
As I remember the events, I realized that I am so grateful to be alive. Life is a gift. I'm grateful for my friends and family. I am so blessed. For anyone who is feeling hopeless, I want to say there is hope.
For anyone who is feeling restless, I want to say there is peace.
God is good! Life is good! I love you all! Remember his goodness always!

No comments: