Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Obligitory Foolishness

I'm watching the best of the Joy of Painting... that makes me mellow and thoughtful, but that is neither here nor there...

What is the rational behind trying to convince someone to do something that they clearly do not want to do?

I have never understood people who talk (or try to) someone into doing something that they CLEARLY are against by using the "you owe me" rational. How does this even make sense? If your actions are supposedly out of kindness and allegedly altruistic, then how does obligation even enter the picture?

Or in another scenario those people who want you to do something for them or want you to acknowledge them when they don't deserve it. How do you for all intents and purposes ignore a person all the time, but want them to claim and acknowledge you in front of others. Seriously, how does one do that? Even Jesus said that if you deny me then I will deny you to my father, and He is way more forgiving than most people I know (myself included). Does genetic relationship oblige a default relationship?

This phenomenon clearly confuses me.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Sam said...

Rationale. Carry on.