Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Let the Trekkers (or Trekkies) say AMEN!

So I went to see the new Star Trek movie. Having been indoctrinated in the awesomeness that is Star Trek (yes I have been to conventions) I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I was anticipating seeing the "originals" brought back to life on the big screen. However I was somewhat apprehensive about how the film would be treated, in short I worried they would totally f@(& it up.

My worries were in vain.

The casting director(s) deserve(s) a standing ovation and all the accolades due to them for putting together a stellar (pun intended) cast of fresh faces who embodied the true essence of who the characters were (and in the case of Karl Urban's dead on portrayal of "Bones" you could close your eyes and you would really believe Deforest Kelly was on screen).

The writers did an excellent job of creating an in depth plot, and were smart enough to put in those little extra touches that die hard, long time Trek fans would notice and appreciate. A wonderful score and very nice visual effects rounded everything out.

In short I loved the movie, so much so that I watched it two times in row. The critics got it very right when they gave the high marks that they did. Let us join with Ann Hornaday, the authour of my favourite review of the movie (actually of any movie for that matter...) and say a word of prayer in thanksgiving for the studio not messing it up. Amen.

No comments: