Monday, September 15, 2008

Parenting and Politics

Most people who know me well know that I don't get into discussions about politics. You do what works for you, and I will do what works for me. I try to avoid being drawn into or starting discussions on the subject, however recent events that have come to light in this current election are causing me to momentarily break my silence.

The Bristol Palin Pregnancy:

Now when I first heard about this I thought to myself, "I wonder if her mom is looking back and seeing if there is anything she could have done differently to avoid this situation". I listened to the pundits on both sides alternately praising her for standing behind her child, and berating her for not teaching her child about safe sex pracitises. Now I agree fully that parents are responsible for teaching their children right and wrong and instilling manners and home training. However there are times when for all the good home training that a child receives, they still do foolishness. It is in cases like those where I cannot support getting on the parent because of the foolishness of the child. I don't live at them, I don't know what went on or goes on in their home, but maybe Bristol Palin was just a hoe. Anyone consider that?

Think about it. Many of us know of a family (or even in our own family) who for all intents and purposes is fairly decent and so are most of their kids (if they have more than one) but there is that one kid who is basically of the devil. No matter how much you speak to them, who speaks to them, punishments, groundings and the like they are still determined to rebell by any means necessary at every turn. Maybe that is the type of child this chick is. Futhermore in this day and age when sex sells and the message of safe sex is plastered EVERYWHERE you cannot look me in the eye and tell me that at 17 years old did not know what a condom was or how to use it. That is pure foolishness. Most 17 year olds that I know are far more knowledgeable than I am about sex (which in and of itself is very disturbing), for that matter most kids that I know as young as 11 and 12 years old know a great deal more about sex at their age than I did at that age.

So for all those people getting on her for being such a horrible parent and how could she let her child do this, consider this; maybe her daughter was just a hoe.

**Disclaimer: no I am not a fan of Sarah Palin. I am however a fan of fair play**

2 comments:

metgirl4ever said...

Amen!! Girl the things my 13 & 15 year old cousins (they're like my kids though) have told me goes on at their schools. . .well lets just say I didn't hear about those things until I was like a sophmore or junior in high school. The middle school stuff that goes on is not PG or PG-13 on a good day. It's straight up X-rated. So so sad.

Auntie Mone said...

When I was doing my student teaching, I had a pregnant student in my 9th grade and 12th grade class, and two mothers of toddlers in my 11th class...this was 7 years ago. This generation cannot say "I didn't know" because they know more than we do.